Dual Citizenship (U.S. and Another Country)

Although you won't find it spelled out in any laws, the United States allows its citizens to hold dual citizenship with another country. The only condition is that the other country allow its own citizens equivalent rights of dual citizenship. So, for example, if you were born in another country to U.S. citizen parents, you may be eligible for citizenship in both countries. Or if you were born in another country but become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you may retain your earlier citizenship as well.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys