How can I apply for a resident card while being an illegal alien?

Related Ads

Connect With an Immigration Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small


How can I apply for a resident card while being an illegal alien?


Individuals who have remained in the US illegally can still apply for a resident card, or commonly known as green card. However, this process can take longer than usual. For illegal aliens who wish to apply for a resident card, the website of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) bureau offers downloadable forms that can be used for this purpose.

Several options or categories are available for illegal aliens who wish to apply for a green card. One of these options involves having family members in the US who can sponsor the applicant. Another option involves an employer who can sponsor the applicant. The job can either be temporary or seasonal, if the applicant is fortunate, it can even be a professional job.

For illegal aliens who are single/unmarried, marrying a US citizen is a very common option. This could speed up the process of getting a resident card. However, applicants must keep in mind that getting married to a US citizen does not necessarily guarantee a green card. It simply changes the status of the applicant from illegal alien to temporary resident. And as the process dictates, being removed from the ‘illegal’ category could do wonders to an individual’s application.

Nonetheless, the marriage must be proven to be out of love and simply not out of the need to acquire a resident card. The evidence must be strong enough to prove this because the USCIS are very through in investigating these cases.

This site does not provide legal advice and users of this site should not interpret any of the information presented here as legal advice. The information provided merely conveys general information related to commonly asked legal questions. We are not a law firm and the employees responding to questions are not acting as your legal attorney. You should ultimately consult with a lawyer for your case.